It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dixie Classic Fair

We went to the fair last night with friends, B-Tim and Ruth Ann, Nathan and Stephanie and had a GREAT time!

If you have been following the blog for a year, you might remember that my camera battery died a mere four pictures in last year. I came better prepared this year!

On the way to the fair I got a text from Amy saying my mom won a blue ribbon on one of her photographs. This is significant because my mom was previously bummed because she didn't think she won a single ribbon for a photo...she had completely overlooked one - and not just any one - a winner!

(blue ribbon - right there!)

When we met up with everyone we had food first. My first priority was the deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was everything I had hoped for and more!


Nathan and Stephanie got some fun chips on a stick and a corn dog.

B-Tim got that turkey leg he had been talking about for the past several weeks.

And then it was time. What we had all been waiting for. The famous Krispy Kreme Burger! Would it be good? Would it be terrible? I had heard both reviews. Christopher was up first.



(burger, bacon, cheese, pickles and lettuce between two Krispy Kreme donuts)

It was actually pretty awesome. I had a couple bites and I totally could have had more.

Everyone else wanted to wait for the verdict, but they soon followed.

(first Nathan)

(then Bryan)

(Ruth Ann)

(and finally Stephanie - I know her face looks skeptical after the first bite, but she had more)

(I found a camel)

(Ruth Ann found corn!)

(and Christopher found room for some chips)

We went to see dogs herd ducks and that was pretty awesome. Of course the herding was awesome, but better than the herding was the.....


DUCK WASHING MACHINE!!!

(black ducks go in...)

(add special duck soap)

(white ducks come out!)

And then...the moment we have all been waiting for! Okay, okay - it was the moment I had been waiting for. The petting zoo!!! I spent $8 on carrots and it was the best $8 I had spent all week!

(in case you have never seen it before, this is my "can I have one" face)

These are capybaras, the world's largest rodents! They are adorable. If anyone wants to read a GREAT book about capybaras, check out Bill Peet's "Capyboppy."


(this guy was one of may faves)

Now this alpaca... He liked some carrots. And I fed him quite a few...

I thought we were friends...

But then he sneezed little bits of carrot chunks all over me! Ruth Ann was nice enough to pick the carrot chunks out of my hair. I hear she also had to pick some carrot chunks off her own glasses later that night.

(we did stay friends though - he couldn't help it)

This was probably the cutest thing all night. This little goat just stayed snuggled up against this cow-thing the whole time. I think the little one was a little nervous. Isn't it adorable?!?!


(you don't say!)

We were starting to wrap things up and head home, but Ruth Ann and I decided to take a quick trip down the slide. It was pretty awesome - just as fun as I remember!



2 comments:

  1. This was a fair story......er a great story, of the fair. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

    You should be a journalist, someday you will be.

    How about that blue ribbon? Good thing Amy saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a (yes it's really) turkey leg. And the Krispy Kreme burger was quite delicious. Great recap, we had a blast!

    ReplyDelete